I am pretty excited to share our newest sew along! We will be making the Nova Tote by @threeowls. You can purchase the pattern to download from her shop on Craftsy here.
I have made this bag three times (two of the large and one medium) size and I love how easy it is to make. I especially love the larger size - I can carry a laptop and notebook and more. It's great for work as well as travel. You're going to love it!
First things first ... the schedule:
- November 3 (today!) - Details and Supplies You Need
- November 10 - Piecing the Pocket
- November 17 - Prepping the bag parts (straps, bottom, body, etc)
- November 20 - Bag Assembly
A few things you should know:
As with most bag patterns, I put my own spin on them. This one is no different. The pattern calls for canvas; however, I prefer to use Soft & Stable and quilt all my pieces. You can make the pattern as originally written or follow along with my modifications. You will need the pattern for cutting and all basic instructions.
You can sew this at your own pace. However, we'll have some prizes for anyone starting a new bag and finishing it before December 4th! ;-) More details on that later on.
I always piece my exterior pockets on bags - this is the fun part! You can piece your's or not ... it is totally up to you. I am still deciding on how I will piece this one, but will provide some tips for several methods.
This was the first Nova Tote I made, which was for a Sewvivor competition challenge. As you can see, I did a lot of piecing of the bag. (More details here.) I will likely only piece the pocket this time.
Ok ... the supplies you will need (assuming you will make it with Soft & Stable):
- Soft & Stable - 36 x 58 size (white)
- 2 yards SF-101 Fusible Interfacing
- 1 yard linen for exterior (straps, bottom, front panel) - I use Essex Yarn Dyed Black (Crossweave would also work)
- 1 yard print lining fabric
- 1/2 yard print for back panel
- 1 charm pack for piecing the front pocket (this will work for most styles)
- 1/4 yard print for binding
Need a kit? We're happy to help! You can order a custom kit here - just leave a note at checkout with your fabric selections for the lining, back, charm pack and binding.
Clover Clips and Clover Hot Ruler are helpful tools for this project. ;-)
We're looking forward to sewing with you! If you have any questions, feel free to email us or message us on Instagram @sewlux.